Wednesday, May 07, 2008

For I'M About to Rock

Perhaps some of you remember a while ago when I mentioned that I used to be in a band. No? Well, you probably aren't missing much. I wrote (almost) all the songs for the group but only sang, played a little harmonica and shook a tambourine.

I sound kinda gay.

I played guitar well enough to hammer out a chord progression and teach it to the people who actually knew how to use their instruments and then I pretty much got the hell out of the way and let them figure out the details. Well all that's about to change. Albeit very slowly. I start guitar lessons today. I'm hoping to learn to do more than just play the 10 or so chords that I know already. My teacher better be patient. I know enough to have formed a million bad habits but not enough to actually be easy to teach things correctly. I can't read music, I don't know the names of the chords that I can play; shit, I don't even know the names of all the strings now that I think about it. Hopefully the instructor has some good advice and I can learn to solo and stuff.

It would also be nice if Eric is a hot chick. I'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

Party Girl said...

Could be short for Erica, but I doubt it.

Jealous of your current endevor (sp?) (to tired to care if it's spelled right) (ANyway) jealous, cause I would love to cross that one off the list.

Learning guitar, not Erica or Eric. I've already done that (them)

Elle said...

Is this a mid life crisis?

mama biscuit said...

Don't forget us when you're famous!

lkmanitou said...

Lesson #1
See the 4th string from the top? Play it loud, play it proud, cause it's your G-string :)

MrsOz said...

you already rock and you will be even better!

Congrats!
Renee

laney j. said...

That's going to be so much fun. Enjoy the lessons and I can't wait to hear you play again soon!

Phollower said...

pg: Nope. He's definitely ERIC. Seems like a 40 year old burnout. We're gonna get along just fine.

elle: No, not really. I've been able to sort of play guitar for a long time. I can play a bunch of chords that I used to write a couple dozen songs but I'd like to ACTUALLY be able to play. Sylvia started piano lessons and that got me to consider some guitar lessons and, well, fine; mid-life crises for both of us.

tysgirl: Ummm, don't hold your breath. On the famous part. The forgetting part you can basically count on.

lk: Sylvia and I went over to Zoe and BP's place the other night and I played BP's acoustic guitar for a while. Had I thought of it I certainly could've made a joke about playing with BP's g-string. Live and learn.

mrsoz: I do kinda rock. We'll see if it's even possible for me to get better. I mean, when you've got something this good...

laney j: Sylvia, Zoe and BP got me to play a few songs for them the other night. That's really nerve-wracking for me to do. I don't know why. They say they really like to hear me play and, as nervous as I am, I do like to do it but it still scares the bejeezus out of me. But I'm trying to get more comfortable with it so ask me sometime and I'll play. Maybe.