Wednesday, March 05, 2008

It's My Pie, Kitty

Yesterday The Spousal Unit left for Monterey, CA for a conference, not to return until next Monday. So I'm a bachelor for 5 days. Doing bachelor type things like... ummm... crap. What did I used to do? Why can't I remember? Wait, I'm sensing a connection. What was I talking about. God, I'm thirsty.

Cotton.

Back to the story: I dropped her and 2 of her students off at the airport at 10:15am and since I (not so) coincidentally had my hockey equipment with me I decided to join in on a game of pick-up hockey that was scheduled at the rink in Indy. I had never played with the group but had heard that the level of play is pretty high.

You can say that again.

A few of the guys had played semi-pro hockey. A few more had at least played in college or in juniors. About half of them were in their late teens or early 20's. Me? I started when I was 30 and am now 37. I also generally play only once a week. It was humbling to say the least. But it was excellent. And I'm rather proud to say that, while it was humbling, it wasn't humiliating. I think I did pretty well for a guy in his late 30's who's played a lot less hockey than any of them. And I don't think I was the worst guy there. But I could be biased.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've thought about playing that pick-up game, too, but for me, it would be both humbling and humiliating. I'd get smoked out there with those guys.

Good to hear you held your own in the pick-up game. Do you think you'll play again with them?

And I'm trying once again to figure out the title of your post. :-)

Zoe said...

Geez, that's how I feel I play BUNS hockey. Except, I do feel like the worst person out there. Every Sunday night of hockey, is a humbling "athletic" experience for me.
Though I feel like the worst person out there, I do also feel that I am getting better.

Have you gotten a lot of levels done?

mama biscuit said...

You have bachelor time and you're blogging?

That's dedication.

Phollower said...

o'butter: I imagine I'll go again sometime. I can let you know when I do if you're interested.

And as for the title, humble pie my friend, humble pie. The "kitty" part is a South Park reference.

zoe: You're definitely getting better. That's one of the best parts about just getting started with hockey. Every day you improve. And drastically. I really need to get out with guys that good more often. There's no way to learn to play against them without playing against them. Poorly.

And I got a few levels done last night but now I need to get to work.

tysgirl: Very little blogging. Mostly I'm painting the living room. Actually I'm just getting started with that. I've removed everything that I can physically remove from the room and off the walls. Now I'm stalling a bit and trying to convince myself that it won't be that bad. It's not working very well.