Monday, March 03, 2008

How Lame Are We?

There are 5 of us in our town who play hockey in Indianapolis, which is about an hour away. Our friend Wienercats is one of the ones who shares a ride to and from our Sunday night hockey sessions since she plays on our team. Yesterday she was one of the people who drove and I happened to be riding in her car on the way home. We got to talking about cooking and about recipe magazines. She mentioned that she gets Cooking Light and one of the things she likes about it is the cooking tips that it gives, not just the yummy recipes. For example, she said a recent issue discussed the difference between boiling and simmering and how it affects veggies that you're cooking. I thought that sounded like an interesting article too.

It wasn't until I was making Sylvia's breakfast this morning that I stopped for a minute and stabbed myself in the eye for getting so damn old.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me a while to figure out how I got the name "o'butter." (And I probably had to ask you. It makes sense, but it wasn't obvious to me at first.)

Now I'm curious as hell about how you got "Wienercats."

I think I know who that is (?), but I'm not sure I'm seeing the derivation of the name.

Must be an inside joke. No need to share then.

limpy99 said...

I thought "Wienercats" was thename of your team until I took a second look at the post.

Phollower said...

o'butter: She actually made it up for herself. It's because her cats are named Oscar and Mayer. And you know darn well I had to sing the song to be sure I spelled their names right. 'Cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A.

limpy: Nope. They don't bother naming the teams beyond calling mine Team Phollower and the other 3 teams Team Whatever The Name Of The Captain Is. But I'll be sure to send it in next time there's one of those "Name the Mascot" contests.

mama biscuit said...

I guess I'm old also because now I really want to know the difference between boiling and and simmering vegetables! Maybe I've been cooking them wrong all these years. Bad wife.

Zoe said...

That's funny, in my car on the way home from hockey, your wife and I were talking about how I just heard that frozen fruit had more nutrients in it than fresh fruit you'd buy at the grocery. They flash freeze the frozen fruit the day or day after it's picked so it maintains most all of its nutrients. Fresh fruit from the produce department may be a week or more off the vine, and longer it's been since the fruit was picked the more nutrients it's lost.

Sylvia said...

Please do not poke yourself in the eye when making my breakfast. I do not like blood in my pancakes.

Anonymous said...

Sylvia, Zoe and I have already decided there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a nerd. Even one that wants to know the difference between boiling and simmering. So there.

Zoe said...

I wasn't joking, that was one of the things we talked about on the way home. And I am very interested to hear the difference between boing and simmering and what it does to vegetables.