Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Be Mine

Let me start by saying that The Spousal Unit and I don't do anything for each other for Valentine's Day. Nothing beyond downing a bottle of champaign and fucking that is, so I'm not sure exactly why this bugs me so much:

There's this set of commercials on right now for some jewelery company and they really rile me up. I don't remember the name of the jeweler but the gist of the spots is these guys doing things for their wives/girlfriends that are decidedly unmanly, like painting their wife's toes (and saying they should get an extra coat) and making handmade Valentine's cards (because there just wasn't a card that could express how deeply they feel) and then, after showing the guy doing whatever over-the-top wussy thing he's doing, the narrator says, "...because you aren't that guy, there's So-and-So's Diamonds." It just makes me think, "That's right, don't DO anything nice for your significant other. Just buy her something and wait for your BJ."

I think doing sweet things for my spouse is about the best way to show her I love her and want her to be with me forever.

Then again I could be biased because buying something for Sylvia requires me asking her for money first. And that pretty much ruins the chances for a BJ.

9 comments:

Phollower said...

It's come to my attention that this post may make my wife seem like the type of person who wouldn't give her husband money if he wanted some. That is not the case. Anytime I want to buy her something she'll give me as much as I need.

I'm kidding again. We share her income evenly and she never (and I mean NEVER) calls our money HER money. It's really a pretty sweet deal for both of us.

mama biscuit said...

You and my husband are so much alike it's scary.

Happy bottle of champaign and fucking day to you and Sylvia!

Zoe said...

Did you get into my blogger account and steal my not yet posted BlogHer post? This is exactly the gripe I have. We were talking about this last night and BP said to me that she didn't think we needed to do anything special for V-day because we live everyday as if it were Valentine's Day. It's the little things we do for each other every day that matters.

Phollower said...

tysgirl: How do you have a bad champaign and fucking day?

zoe: I can't help it. I have the mind of lesbian. If I wasn't trapped in this male body I'd be such a whore. I suppose I'd have to stop touching myself and leave the house though, which would take quite a while if I suddenly became a chick.

Anonymous said...

LOL That post in itself would make a great commercial

limpy99 said...

"That's right, don't DO anything nice for your significant other. Just buy her something and wait for your BJ."

Does this actually work? Because if so I need to find some receipts and return some stuff.

limpy99 said...

Champagne.

Sorry, but that was bugging me.

Phollower said...

limpy: You know, the spelling didn't look right but it didn't send my spell checker into a tizzy so I thought I was just an idiot. Turns out I AM an idiot but for a different reason than I originally thought.

Frank said...

If they had only continued to call it (Champaign) West Urbana, your spell-checker would probably have caught it...