Sunday, June 03, 2007

Why?

Party Girl asked me in a recent comment for a little more detail as to why exactly I decided to quit my job and be a stay at home husband. The Spousal Unit said she'd love to read the answer to that as well which surprised me a bit because I thought she had a pretty good grasp on it already. But anyway, here goes:

I hate going to work. I hate waking up in the morning and knowing I have to go do something I don't want to do (and really don't care that much about) for 8 hours. I hate how it looms over me for the entire weekend, ruining even the days that I don't have to go. Not that my job at Local Computer Store was terrible or anything. I worked with nice people, I learned a lot, I was an integral part of the company; I just didn't want to be there.
But taking care of the house, cleaning, cooking, doing yard work, laundry and what have you; now that's work I can really get behind. It's done directly and only for me and The Spousal Unit. And I like doing those things. I don't just mean I tolerate them. I mean I honest to god like to do them. For us. If I had a job as a maid doing those exact same tasks it would suck. Does that make any sense?
I'm also much more secure as support staff. I've been a manager at past jobs and hated it. I'm not good at being responsible for others. I'm not comfortable running someone else's business. But taking care of things for my family, I can do that. I want to do that. I want Sylvia to not have to worry about anything at home so she can do her job. She loves her job and helping her do it as well as she can is important to me. Having her do well at work is also beneficial to our family financially and, of course, that's nice too. So I feel like I'm helping to do my share and filling a role in the household.
I also value free time more than just about anything. Time when we can do whatever we feel like doing at the moment. Want to go camping this weekend? OK. The lawn's mowed, the laundry's done, the house is clean. What's to stop us? Want to sit in the backyard and read all Saturday afternoon? Why not? Things can wait until Monday. It's not like I'll have to be at work or anything. I love that freedom.

I hope that sheds a little light on it. I imagine I'll think of more stuff later. If you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to answer them as best I can. I guess the long and the short of it is: Sylvia makes enough money to support both of us, I can do everything at home to support both of us, we each enjoy the part we play and are happy as all hell with that part. Who could ask for anything more?

6 comments:

Sylvia said...

I knew that stuff. I was interested in the question of whether you would be advancing your more artistic pursuits. You have not answered that when I have asked. I know you don't plan to do it as a full-time thing, but I'd love it if you wanted to do it a bit more (if you want to do it that is).

Phollower said...

Oh, THAT question. Yes, I do plan to get back into music more than I've had time to in the past. Exactly what that will mean and where it will lead, I dunno. Maybe I'll just get out and play a little more, maybe I'll try my hand at recording some new stuff. I hope to do more songwriting then I've been doing in the recent past. Either way, my first priority is getting a lot of stuff done around the house that I've put off for too long. Then, we'll see...

Party Girl said...

I hate blogger.

I wrote a completely funny, witty, heartfelt wonderful comment to your insightful and wonderful post. Then blogger lost it.

Basically: I thought it was just to smoke pot.

Then I said: I was very happy for both of you and it's rare that you met someone who supports you at all, let alone all the way. It was nice that you had someone as wonderful as Sylvia and vice versa and how rare and wonderful it is that two people find each other who are supportive of each other needs and wants.

That is the cliff notes version.

The real version was very deep and heartfelt, but again, blogger ate it.

Phollower said...

PG: Blogger loved it so much it kept the original for itself.

The one that made it through was awfully nice as well.

I am the luckiest man alive.

Zoe said...

You forgot to throw in that is really is so you can smoke pot all day. And do all the other stuff too.

Phollower said...

Zoe: What were we talking about?