Friday, June 29, 2007

Hittin' the Trail

I'll be hiking on the famed Appalachian Trail from tomorrow (June 30th) until next Friday (July 6th). It's the annual Father-in-Law, Brother-in-Law, & Friends trip. We're meeting up with a good friend who is thru-hiking the whole 2160 or so miles from Georgia to Maine.

That's officially far.

He's been covering about 25 miles a day and actually just completed what is called the "Maryland Challenge", which is to hike the entire 41 miles of trail through Maryland in a 24 hour period. He got up at 1 in the morning, hiked at night until about 5 when the sun came up, and reached PA around 8 PM.

That's officially fast.

And crazy.

And when I thru-hike the AT I'll try to do it too.

We'll be covering between 8 and 10 miles a day with him.

That's officially reasonable for us.

He's going to feel like a snail. But we're bringing him a big bag of freshly baked cookies so he'll forgive us.

Until next weekend, Phollower out.

9 comments:

limpy99 said...

There's another challenge somewhere around where you're meeting him, although he may have already passed it. There's some ice cream shop near the trail and the challenge is to eat a half gallon (or gallon perhaps) as fast as possible.

I hear the trick is to go with vanilla or some boring flavor with less stuff to chew. Let us know if you try it.

lkmanitou said...

Have fun & stay safe!

Sylvia said...

Limpy - It's a half gallon, at the half-way point in the trail. I know the guy thru hiking is planning to do it. And he is the kind of eater who can (as is Phollower)! Phollower said he is not going to do it until he is a thru hiker himself.

Phollower said...

Limpy: Yep. The Pine Furnace Camp Store sells 1/2 gallons of Hershey's Ice Cream and there's even a little wooden "spoon" given out to the people who complete the 1/2 gallon challenge. Our friend Comet did indeed polish off a 1/2 gallon of vanilla. I believe his time was around 35 minutes. The record is 4:13 or something like that. But the guy cheated. He let the ice cream mostly melt and then drank it. We decided your official time should start when you're handed the 1/2 gallon.

A couple people have actually done the gallon challenge. The record time for that? 33 minutes. Again, he "cheated" but that's still an impressive amount of ice cream to drink in a half hour.

limpy99 said...

Letting it melt has to be cheating. That's just wrong.

Deathboy said...

So? How was it? We want a trail report, with lots of pics!

Phollower said...

Deathboy: I actually didn't take a camera with me. I relied on Comet's picture taking ability but it'll be a while before the memory stick with our pictures gets to his wife (who's running his website) and gets posted. I'll keep you informed. I will write a trail report when I get a chance though. Complete with reviews of a couple card games I took with me. That's right Limpy, even if I have to carry the fucking things 50 miles I'm gonna have games with me all the time. I'm just that much fun.

limpy99 said...

Hey, of you're in the woods more than a day, you need a deck of cards. Now, if you'd brought that German realpolitik board game with you I'd have had to question your sanity.

Phollower said...

Limpy: Die Macher is WAAYYY too fucking heavy to carry. I also don't have the ability to keep from wandering off in the woods for 5 straight hours so we could finish a game.

You can still feel free to question my sanity. I have a feeling you can come up with the right answer pretty quickly.

The card games I brought aren't played with a standard deck of cards although my brother in law brought one of those as well.