Tuesday, September 11, 2007

RB #5

I went out to my favorite all you can eat Chinese buffet for dinner last night since The Spousal Unit had her book group. I noticed that I'm apparently the only person in town who leaves a tip for the poor asian girl who has to bring people their root beer and pick up their filthy plates. Which reminded me of a little story.

I was probably about 15 at the time and I went to McDonalds with my grandfather. When we got our food my Gramps tipped the cashier. I remember being so embarrassed at the time. I mean, c'mon, who tips the cashier at McDonalds? But now I look back and I think that was pretty great. The look on the cashier's face was utter confusion but I bet the gesture made her day. Not that I'm going to start tipping at Mickie D's or anything but you get the point. Not the point that I'm a cheap bastard, the other point. Oh forget it. Let's just say Gramps was a great guy who I miss a lot and leave it at that.

2 comments:

limpy99 said...

I love Chinese buffets, but mostly because I hate cats.

dykewife said...

i adore buffets, i love that there's nearly always something for everyone.

when i worked at rotten ronnies we weren't allowed to have tips. the uniforms didn't have pockets for that specific reason.

of course, only one person tried to tip me. it was a lovely old woman who was obviously on a limited income and she wanted to tip me a dime. she was most put out and told the manager that not being able to tip exceptional service was a travesty.