Wednesday, August 15, 2007

NE, The Wii, & Me

The title of this post happens to include the 3 main reasons I haven't posted anything lately. So, dealing with them in order:

NE: That happens to be the abbreviation for Nebraska. What, pray tell, does Nebraska have to do with anything? Well, that happens to be where The Spousal Unit's dad and his wife live and we decided to go out there for our vacation. We spent about 9 days there and it was just excellent. How could a big chunk of flat corn field be excellent you ask? It turns out that Nebraska, especially western Nebraska, is anything but flat. Want proof? Check this out:


That was our campsite for a couple nights in the Soldier's Creek Wilderness. That place was beautiful. There was a whole lot of nothing out there. My favorite. Want more evidence? OK:


That's more of the Soldier's Creek Wilderness. But as excellent as the trip was I do have one suggestion for anyone thinking of heading out that way: Don't do it in August. Way too hot. Mid 90's, blazing sun, all sand, not much shade. But our campsite did have a nice tree that we sat under and drank beer in the afternoons. Great way to wait for the day to cool down.

Here's another great place we visited:


Scott's Bluff National Monument. We hiked to the top and even saw remnants of the Oregon Trail near the base. Very cool and great views. Don't believe me? Fine:


If you look closely you can see the road and one of the tunnels you'd use if you wanted to drive to the top. But what fun is that?

The Wii: I refuse to take the blame for this. I'm dumping full responsibility on our friends Knotts and Knitts. See, they have a Wii and were kind enough to invite us over to try it out. I believe there's crack in the wireless controller because we went out and got one a couple days later. It's pretty much the coolest thing ever. If you've never tried one you have to go out right now and meet a 13 year old (or in our case some other childless couple who spends a fair portion of their disposable income on fun stuff) so you can give it a shot. It's the best thing to happen to video games since weed. I guess weed probably came first but you know what I mean. Sylvia and I have wasted a lot of time playing with the Wii (which sounds dirtier than it is) over the last week or so and that's reason #2 for my lack of posting.

The third reason is Me. I'm just fucking lazy.

8 comments:

lkmanitou said...

No hatin' for spreading the Wii love! :)

Zoe said...

So really, Wiid is the reason you haven't been around lately.

Phollower said...

lk: That's right. Don't hate the playa, hate the game. Man is that thing fun. I've been up until 2:30 the last 2 mornings playing Tiger Woods '07 and Resident Evil 4. My life is ashambles.

zoe: Wii and weed: A match made in heaven.

That's experience talking.

See you Friday...

Anonymous said...

So I'm wondering, is there a hockey game for the wii?

limpy99 said...

That's a great view, somewhat hampered by the fact that it's of Nebraska.

Sylvia said...

I was thinking the same thing O'Butter. We definitely need to look into it! And a better tennis game.

Phollower said...

o'butter: Not yet, unless you count the downloadable original Nintendo version, which I don't.

limpy: Nebraska is actually pretty excellent. Especially the western portion. I like it.

Party Girl said...

NE: nothingness, nothingness, nothingness, hot nothingness, wait for it...and then somethingness.

Pretty much sums up South Dakota as well.
Oh, and hot. Damn, hot.