Monday, March 05, 2007

Tentative Countdown

The Spousal Unit has jumped through all the appropriate hurdles and has been told by the University at which she works that she's gonna get tenure.

Say it with me, "YEA SYLVIA!"

This means several things. First, job security. Unless she knees a dean in the nads or something (which I can never 100% rule out) she pretty much can't get fired. Second, a heap-big raise. We're not talking 10's of thousands or anything, she's still a University professor, but we ARE talking about an amount that leads to the third thing: the countdown to my retirement has begun.

I hate to jinx it or anything but we're planning for me to able to quit working at the end of June. Our finances should then be at a point where we'll be comfortable enough with our savings and Sylvia's salary will be able to provide for the both of us. She's awesome. And I'll take care of the house and the animals and the cooking and the cleaning and all that crap. I am also awesome. This is what Sylvia and I have been working toward for the last 10 years. So barring any major financial setbacks (that's right leaky roof, I'm looking at you) we're going to start having a lot more time together and a lot more time to do whatever we feel like doing instead of busting our butts at home after working all week.

This summer is gonna rule.

7 comments:

Zoe said...

You may as well have just said that the Sabres are going to win the Stanley Cup. Way to go jinx.

Congrats to you two!

When should I start expecting my crockpot meal service to start?

Phollower said...

Limpy: Let me be the first to say, "How did you think I was going to spend all the spare time I'm planning to have?"

Followed by a hearty, "Thanks. I'm really proud of Sylvia. Any envy that's pointed toward me is undoubtedly her fault."

Zoe: Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick! I'm only jinxing my retirement. YOU had to go and fuck up the Sabres. You can shove your crockpot service directly up your ass.

Unless of course the Sabres win the cup and I get to retire. In that case I'll do the crockpot thing for you the first time I make something. Really.

Party Girl said...

Holy hell crap god, that is so fucking awesome!
Whoo-hoo, you! and whoo-hoo, Sylvia!!!

That is a major accomplishment for her and for you, so awesome for you both!!!!

I'm only sending a bad thought twice for every fourth good thought I am sending you. Cause, yeah.

Scott said...

Yaaaayyyy! for you both!

Anonymous said...

Nice Zoe! I told you NOT to say crap like that about the Sabres. The line is "We hope they will go deep into the playoffs" - say it with me after you are done laughing about the fact that I typed "deep".

lkmanitou said...

Congrats to the Sylvia and Phollower! Extra congrats for Sylvia for making me crack up in a hotel lobby by using the phrase "go deep into" :)

Phollower said...

PG: Yeah, my wife is awesome.

S&L: See above comment.

Sylvia: You're awesome. And do you mind if I call you "playoffs"? I won't be going very deep but I still like the reference.

LK: See the comments above the one to Sylvia.