Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Most Important Meal of the Day

I was reading Limpy's blog and it reminded me of something:

My dad used to make this stuff for breakfast that he called "Fried Spaghetti". It was just left over pasta (the noodles, no sauce) panfried in butter or bacon grease (obviously the preferred method) along with onions, peppers and whatever else was in the fridge; leftover lunchmeat, sausage, veggies of nearly any sort, etc. My dad generally only cooked on the weekend so he threw all the stuff left in the fridge together. I totally loved it. I still do. In fact it's one of The Spousal Unit's favorite breakfasts as well except that I generally use olive oil instead of bacon grease for the obvious arterial reasons. My dad thought it was hilarious when I told him I made pasta so I could make fried spaghetti becuase he only made fried spaghetti as a way to use up leftover noodles from the day before. The thought of going out of your way to make noodles for the sole purpose of turning them into fried spaghetti cracked him right up. I think I will make it for breakfast tomorrow. If anyone's in the area I'll make extra. Please have your order in by this evening so I can plan ahead.

My dad died about 10 years ago. We had almost nothing in common besides a love of beer and fried spaghetti. We still got along pretty well and I enjoyed hanging out with him.

I miss him a lot.

3 comments:

Party Girl said...

Along with certain songs, and certain smells in the air (ala burning leaves caught in the breeze in the fall) food is so connected to memories and emotions.
It's comforting.

It also makes me a little sad when it will trigger something in an unexpected way, such as both your post and Limpy's.

Thanks for sharing!

limpy99 said...

I'm glad I could depress the hell out of both of you.

Zoe said...

I'll probably still be in bed by the time you eat breakfast, so I'll take a raincheck on the fried spaghetti. But I would like to try it sometime, sounds easy enough.

Great post by the way.