Monday, October 02, 2006

I'm not sure if this means I'm getting old or not.

Over the weekend a couple friends, The Spousal Unit and I went to Chicago to see The Suicide Girls Live Burlesque Tour. I'm into the goth/punk chick thing. I like the dyed hair, the tatoos, some of the piercings... you know, freaky girls in general. I mean that in the most flattering way possible.

Anyway, we saw the tour last year when it was in Indy and we decided we'd like to check it out again. There are nearly naked girls involved, which is nice, but another reason we decided to make the 2 hour drive was because of the opening band: Tsu Shi Ma Mi Re. They opened for the show in Indy and they are fucking excellent. They're these 3 Japanese girls who just barely speak English. When they were first introduced at the Indy show they came walking onto the stage in kimonoes, carrying little umbrellas. We were thinking, as our friend Jenny said, "Here's an hour of our lives we'll never get back again." Then they started playing.

Holy. Shit.

Some of the most excellent punk rock ever. The words are all in Japanese so I have no idea what they're saying but it makes no difference. It sounds awesome.

But back to my original statement about getting old. What does it say about me and my age that I enjoyed the band more than the naked girls? Don't get me wrong. The girls were beautiful. But I wish Tsu Shi Ma Mi Re could've played longer and I'd have given up some girl time to get it.

At least I was only willing to give up the boobies for punk. That's gotta count for something, right? Right?

10 comments:

limpy99 said...

There's a show in Hartford on 10/15. I may have to take the wife. After all if she put up with Nashville Pussy, this should be a cake-walk.

Phollower said...

LIMPY- It was an excellent show. If Tsu Shi Ma Mi Re is playing then go for sure. I don't know what the venue is like in Hartford but get there early, early, early so you can be in the front. If you can't see the whole stage you'll miss some hot parts of the acts. I'm 6'4 so I didn't have a problem even though I was back from the stage a bit, but the shorter people were sad during some scenes.

Zoe said...

I would have loved for the band to play longer(and with the amount of time between acts I'm not sure why they didn't because they had plenty of time to fit in a few more songs), but I would not have given up the girls for it.

Definitely go limpy, you'll love it.

lkmanitou said...

Choosing punk over boobies says dead or comatose not old to me :)

Phollower said...

LK- Dead or comatose you say? I'll take that over being old.

Party Girl said...

My only comment is that the post left a smile on my face.

...okay two comments, don't boobies and punk go hand in hand??

Phollower said...

Not as often as I'd like them to.

Elle said...

3 comments.

1. Hartford is ghetto. Bring your gun, limpster.

2. Is Sylvia one of those freaky girls? This is not a question for you to divulge into conversation about handcuffs... but does she have a lot of piercings? Dyed hair?

3. You really should know better. That is, about Asians being the shit. I'm 50% sure that this statement is true, but my Caucasian half is beating the shit out of my Asian side, so I'll have to get back to you.

Phollower said...

ELLE- Sylvia does have a tattoo on her back and she does dye her hair (reddish) but both of those are fairly "conservative", as far as dying and tattoos go. No piercings. They kinda gross her out. I would definitely not put her in the category of freaky. I enjoy the look of the Suicide Girls and freaky chicks in general but having known a few, well, they're like Disneyland, "It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there." Anymore.

Phollower said...

Absolutely not.