Monday, September 11, 2006

Da-na-na Da-na-na!

The title of this post should be sung to the tune of the SportsCenter highlight theme.

Last night was the first session of Sylvia and my fall hockey league. We play in a no-checking, no-slapshot, co-ed league for adult beginners. I've been playing for about 4 or 5 years and Sylvia started a couple years ago. She began in an all-women's league but it shut down the year after she joined (I don't think there was any connection between the two) so she, and a fair number of the other women from her league joined my (our) league. Our league was always co-ed but there were usually only 1 or 2 girls since most of them played in the all-women's league. Sylvia works really hard at hockey but has never scored a goal in a game. Until last night. She parked herself in front of the goal and made herself available for a pass like a good center should, got a nice pass from another one of the women in our league, and tapped it past the goalie. She tried to act all calm and cool but everybody on the bench and on the ice went crazy. She's been close to scoring so many times and we've all been rooting for her. I'm not sure who was more excited, us or her. I think it was her.

I'm so proud.

4 comments:

lkmanitou said...

Way to go Sylvia! You scored! :)

limpy99 said...

I hope you saved the puck.

Anonymous said...

Now I have 2 children, one son in law and myself who have all scored goals in a hockey game. I am so happy. Congrats and many more Sylvia. Save the stick with the date and time on the blade.

Elle said...

That's my girl!