Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Almost Famous

Back in my early and mid 20's I was singer/songwriter in a band called "The Willies." We had a CD out and everything. I mean, everybody does now but this was 10 years ago so it was sort of a big deal. To us. We were pretty decent too. Alternative-pop sort of stuff. We had a fair number of songs that really (seriously) could've gotten airplay. Beyond the local shows in Buffalo, NY where we lived that is. Someday I'm going to learn how to put the music up on the internet somewhere so both my readers can hear what they've been missing all this time. Anyway, after telling one of my co-workers about our exploits and playing a few songs for him he says,

"Not bad. You know, you guys were just a single away from being one-hit wonders."

That we were, my friend, that we were...

9 comments:

lkmanitou said...

Easy Peasy for hosting music online. :)

1. Rip CD to mp3 format. Lots of free/shareware programs will do that. iTunes uses a proprietary format though.
2. Sign up for a web hosting service - free or pay for bandwidth. Fell & I like netfirms.com, personally. Lookout for services that may make you pay for extra bandwidth usage, those can really be costly.
3. Upload mp3's to web space.
4. Make a crazy link on your blog to your mp3's and you're in bidnezz!

Phollower said...

Ummm, I've gotten them into mp3 format already but it's the hosting thing I don't know how to handle. I think we get some free web space through Insight Cable (our internet provider) but I don't know how to use it. I'll tap into your giant brain next time you come over...

Party Girl said...

Whew-hoo! Props to ya! You rock!

Pud said...

So what happened with your band? Do you still do gigs?

Phollower said...

PUD- No, that was a long time ago. Well, it feels like a long time ago. I've played at a couple open mic nights since we moved to Indiana 5 years ago but nothing besides that. I sometimes think about getting back into it because, not to toot my own horn, I'm a pretty decent songwriter and I enjoy it. But, you know how it is. It's tough to find time to do everything you'd like to do. So I keep putting songwriting on the backburner. So it goes.

Elle said...

Wow. This makes me hope I never get to be your age.

Anonymous said...

Yes yes oh please yes!! I haven't had the Willies in so loooong!

Phollower said...

Gee Whiz SISKNY, settle down. If only we had created that much excitement in people when we were still playing.

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, looks like someone else too your name and is putting out country music!! Just saw a CD online for "The Little Willies".

I think if I had to choose an adjective to go with "Willies" it sure wouldn't be "Little". Just sayin...