Friday, July 14, 2006

I might be somebody too, you know.

So yesterday at work I get a letter made out to Dr. Phollower. In case you haven't pieced it together by my previous posts, I ain't no doctor. I've experimented with pharmaceuticals a bit but that's as close to the medical profession as I've ever gotten. And dropping out of college after a year and a half doesn't put any letters after your name either. Unless those letters spell "dumbass".
Anyway, this letter is an invitation for yours truly to be in the Strathford Who's Who of Something or Other. For those of you who don't know: I run the stockroom and do the shipping/receiving & purchasing for a little mom & pop style computer store. We have 7 employees and I would just barely make the Who's Who for my store, much less an entire industry. Here's the catch. Getting my name in the book is free but if I'd like a copy of the Who's Who it'll run me about $50 or something. I laugh at this little scam and take the letter home to show the Spousal Unit.
Sylvia has gotten letters like this in past as well. Now, she actually has reason to get them. Without revealing too much about her personal life, she has LOTS of letters after her name and works at a large, internationally recognized university. She's gotten invitations to the Who's Who in Women Researchers and Who's Who in Professor Type Stuff and what have you. When I show her my invitation letter she giggles at the Dr. part and says, "I always figured these Who's Who books were scams but now that you've gotten an invitation I know for sure."

She's sweet, aint' she?

6 comments:

Phollower said...

Yes, and I'm prescribing a love injection to be taken once a day for the next week. Orally would be fine.

limpy99 said...

Uhhhh, I had a comment here, but I'm just going to leave you two alone for the moment.

(edges uncomfortably out of the room)

Phollower said...

(but peeks around the corner) I've read your blog often enough to know. Perv.

Dirty Bunny said...

I can feel the love.

Joe always gets mail addressed to him with my last name. I love it. I guess we know who wears the pants in this family. (Don't tell Joe I said that. :o)

Elle said...

Awwww... she loves you!

Party Girl said...

Ah, that gave me warm fuzzies all over.

The good kind. Not the bad kind of warm fuzzies. That would require a doctor.