Friday, February 01, 2008

I'll Just Risk It

Our town got hit with about 7" of snow last night and this morning. For our unprepared mid-west town this is quite a bit. So The Spousal Unit and I turn on our local CBS affiliate to check the little ticker thing that goes across the bottom of the screen and gives updates on the closings of schools, businesses, and what have you. Well, the ticker is there alright but Dr. Phil is the show that it's running over. After about a minute of watching the closing reports the ticker still hadn't gotten through anywhere near the entire list but we just couldn't fucking take Dr. Phil anymore so we changed the channel. I looked at Sylvia and said, "If I'm not sure someplace is open I'd rather just drive there and see what happens."

3 comments:

Zoe said...

Man I am so with you here, but I'd probably turn on the radio and listen for the listing of closings.

Phollower said...

zoe: Oh just shut up Miss Smartypants with your fancy radio ideas.

Frank said...

Actually the local TV station has an excellent web page for closings, updated more or less every minute...

I know this because I saw the notice that they closed our son's school less than 12 minutes after I decided we better wake him up...

Needless to say (since this is the midwest, and not the great white north), 7" of snow meant that fewer than half of my students were in class, and 2/3 of our main office were "working from home."