Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Niceness Personified

The Spousal Unit and I went to Buffalo for a wedding reception this past weekend. We stayed, as usual, with The Spousal Unit's sister, her husband, and their 3 kids. I love them all. Since we're the caring type who like to keep young minds (and their parents' minds) devoid of any sort of actual thinking we brought our Wii with us. Well, the 2 nieces (aged 7 and 5) were playing Wii Tennis. Every time your player wins a point these little music notes appear over his head (indicating great joy and happiness I guess) and every time you lose a point this squiggly cloud sort of thing appears over your players head (indicating great frustration and sadness I suppose). After Niece #1 lost a point the following occurs:

Niece #1: "Wuja," (that's what she calls me. I believe it's Polish for "uncle" and is pronounce Voo-Ha) "Why does that cloud show up over my head when I lose a point?"

Phollower: "Well Niece #1, it's because you're upset that you didn't win."

Niece #1: "Why can't I just be a good sport?"

Phollower: "I don't know, Niece #1, I don't know."

She's about the sweetest kid ever.

5 comments:

limpy99 said...

"Because a good loser is still a loser."

I can't believe you missed that opportunity.

Phollower said...

limpy: Or as they say in their house, "You know what they call 2nd place? First loser."

But I kind of like yours better. I'll get that kid to be competitive if it kills me.

Zoe said...

Growing up in that family, I can't believe that she wouldn't be competitive. And I KNOW, that it had to be the older neice who said that.

Maria said...

Being a good sport IS best. However, I do not have a good sport at my house. Liv is most certainly the cloud-over-the-head type of person when she loses. I have actually had to put up games for a week to teach her not to be such a bad sport.

And I can't even act like she isn't a chip off the old block since I am the worst sport about losing that there ever was. I'm 49 and I still have trouble hiding my pouting face when I lose....

Party Girl said...

Okay, that was about the sweetest, wisest 1930's black and white movie moment, ever.

Who knew they had such technology back then.

..or from "Babe"
"That'll do Pig, that'll do."